We are all aware that our energy resources our depleting and so we often here a lot of campaign to encourage the people to conserve energy. Aside from the fact that this will bring a lot of savings, conserving energy is also good for the environment as we are cutting down on the bad toxins that our electrical appliances are emitting.
Here are Top 5 tips that can be easily observed at home to conserve energy:
1. Choose Energy Efficient Lighting System. The type of light you use at home can significantly affect your energy consumption. Incandescent and florescent lights consumes more energy so switching to those energy efficient lights like LED lights that is readily available now in the market can bring a huge savings on your electricity bills. Aside from the fact that it last 10 times longer than regular incandescent bulb, LED lights are 80% more energy efficient.
2. Choose Energy Efficient Appliances. Because we live in a very modern world now, our house is full of electrical appliances that can make our life easy. We have washing machines, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave oven and more that make our lives convenient as it help us do household chores fast. While we can’t do away with these appliances, we can still conserve energy while using them by choosing energy efficient appliances. When shopping for appliances, check out the energy efficient labels that can help a user compare energy efficiency of different models. Choose also appliances with “Energy Star” label as this means that it meets the strict energy efficient criteria set by the U.S. Department of Energy and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.The more energy efficient an appliance is, the less it will costs to run thus resulting to lower utility bills.
3. Observe regular maintenance of your appliances. Always make sure that all of your appliances are regularly maintained so they will always function at their 100%. The filters of air conditioner for example should be regularly cleaned, as it requires more power to cool a room if the filter is dirty, thus consuming more energy.
4. Unplug appliances when not in use. A big part of the utility bill comes from latent consumption which is the power used by electrical appliances when they remain plugged even if they are not in use. Putting appliances on standby mode still eats up power consumption so it is wise to unplug them to help conserve energy and save up on electricity bills.
5. Plan for the use of appliances that consume more power at quickest rates. Appliances such as iron, vacuum cleaner and the like are some of these home appliances so it is better to minimize the use of them or plan well when you are using these appliances. When ironing clothes for example, you will save on energy consumption if you will iron all clothes in one schedule rather than ironing clothes everyday, as you need them.
These are simple tips and some can be easily implemented without costing a penny. So start observing these tips so you can begin to see savings on your utility bills while doing your part in saving the environment as well.
Autho’s Bio: Abie is a freelance blogger and content writer for more than 5 years now. She writes about different topic including Parenting, Family, Health & Fitness, Technology, Travel and more. Her current project is for the site Personalisedtshirts.com, which makes kids personalised t shirts.